Purchasing a home is one of the largest financial commitments you'll ever make, and it's understandable to want to protect your investment throughout the purchase process. When you're ready to make an offer on a home, adding a contingency to your contract can give you time to assess the property and feel confident that it is a sound investment. Here are five contingencies that can safeguard your investment:
1. A financing contingency ensures you're not on the hook if something goes awry with your loan. If you're unable to secure a mortgage or the terms and conditions change significantly during the contingency period, you can back out without any penalties.
2. An inspection contingency gives you a set time frame to have a professional home inspection done on the property. Should issues be found, you can negotiate with the seller to make repairs or adjust the sales price to account for the home's condition.
3. An appraisal contingency protects you if an appraisal comes in below the sales price. When this happens, it's up to you to make up the difference, either by securing additional financing, paying it out of pocket or renegotiating the deal. If none of these methods work, the contingency allows you to back out without losing your earnest money.
4. A home sale contingency is crucial if you're selling an existing home while buying a new one. Essentially, it says your purchase relies on your ability to sell your current home by a specific date. If you haven't accepted an offer in that period, you can withdraw and get your earnest money back.
5. An occupancy contingency protects you should you need to move into your new home by a specific time. It gives you possession of the home on the date you specify.
It's no secret that today's housing market is a competitive one, and bidding wars can be intimidating. Get in touch today to ensure that your bid stands out and your investment is protected.
Wednesday, May 30, 2018
Wednesday, May 23, 2018
Discovery Green's Thursday Concerts are a perfect way to spend a summer evening in Houston with free live music under the stars and the downtown skyline as the backdrop. You won't want to miss out on the remaining stellar lineup over the next few weeks. (All concerts start at 7 pm and end at 9 pm.)
May 24th: It's an evening of Gulf Coast Blues featuring Marcia Ball and the Mighty Orq.
May 31st: Two Texas troubadours, Terry Allen & Libby Koch, take the stage.
June 7th: The Rockabilly sounds of Rosie Flores and The Octanes will kick off your weekend early.
June 14th: Punk legend John Doe will rock the stage along with local opener VODI.
June 21st: Don't miss the bluesy sounds of Ruthie Foster and The Peterson Brothers.
June 28th: Have some honky tonk fun with Dale Watson and Celine Lee.
Pack a picnic for the whole family and enjoy the surrounding festivities at Discovery Green and Avenida Houston. Or make it a date night and hit up one of the nearby happy hours at MKT Bar, The Grove, or Xochi before the music begins.
Enjoy the show!
Wednesday, May 16, 2018
It's National Barbecue Month, the time to celebrate flame-grilled foods and the great outdoors. Whether you enjoy backyard burgers with family and friends or you're a vegetarian with a penchant for travel, there are so many ways to celebrate this month that fit your unique culinary style and tastes.
Here's some grilling inspiration for your family meals, social gatherings and adventures with nature.
For the entertainer: Throw a backyard barbecue bash with friends and neighbors and prepare all the favorites: burgers, ribs, corn on the cob, watermelon and more. You can even ramp it up with a smoker or pizza grill. Just make sure you test your new tools out before the big day, and be sure to have enough charcoal or propane on hand.
For the vegetarian: Meat-free barbecues are more common than you might think. Aside from tofu dogs and black bean burgers, your guests can also enjoy portabella burgers, stuffed chilis rellenos, baked potatoes or veggie skewers from the grill. Peaches and pineapples also make for great grilled desserts.
For the family: Plan a nice home-cooked outing just for the family. Have everyone pick their favorite main course, and get all the kiddos involved in the prep work and cooking. You can even invest in some monogrammed branding irons to make family grilling even more special.
For the nature lover: Take your celebration on the road, and head to the beach or a campsite to enjoy your meals with nature. Bring along a portable grill, ingredients for s'mores, comfy chairs and your favorite sleeping bag to celebrate under the stars.
As long as you've got great food and great company, you can't go wrong celebrating May with meals prepared on a grill.
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
Houston, we are spoiled when it comes to parks! The lastest addtion to the green scene in the city is Midtown Park, which celebrated its grand opening April 28th. The park is full of amazing and unique features with something for everyone.
Visitors are greeted by Wild Wonderland, a larger than life mosaic of Houston flora and fauna by local artist Dixie Friend Gay. This impressive piece of artwork is made of over 800,000 hand-cut glass pieces, each adding incredible detail to the featured nature. Our family was especially fond of the cute ladybug, beautiful butterfly, and flashy lizard. Nature lovers will also love the "Bayou" landscape and waterway, which mimics the bayous and wetlands of the gulf coast and utilizes native plants and trees.
Budding athletes will love the state-of-the-art playground equipment, with its climbing sphere, interactive pipe section, and swings. Fido will love running the ramp at the dog park. If the family is still full of energy, play a game on the Great Lawn, before enjoying a cooldown in the "Rain" splash pad.
The Camden Pavilion is a beautiful outdoor stage that will host live music and performances. Be sure to follow along the Midtown District Instagram account for upcoming events, as well as fitness, dancing, and yoga classes.
Midtown (and all of Houston) is lucky to have such a wonderful addition to the neighborhood!
If you are interested in finding a new home near this amazing space, please give me a call!