|Southland Hardware in Montrose - a great local source for all the items on your to do list!|
Your vehicle requires routine maintenance to run smoothly, and the same goes for your house. Without service reminders, however, it can be easy to forget to tend to all the systems that keep your house fully functioning. Fortunately, you can create a simple annual maintenance checklist to properly care for your home and prevent potential issues from becoming major problems.
Start by making a list of each task you'll need to complete over the coming year. Make sure your yearly home inspection includes all major systems (HVAC, electrical and plumbing), the interior and exterior of your home, water and septic tanks, doors and windows, and the attic or basement if applicable.
When that's done, organize the list according to how often each item needs to be checked or maintained and set reminders accordingly. Your home maintenance checklist might start to look similar to this:
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Change air filters in the heating and air conditioning system.
- Clean range hood filters to avoid possible grease fires.
- Trim back any shrubbery or plant growth around the outdoor HVAC unit by at least 18 inches.
- Check and wipe down sliding doors and window tracks.
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors.
- Test garage door and grease tracks as needed.
- Clear gutters of spring and fall foliage.
- Power wash windows and siding.
- Schedule seasonal service of the HVAC system before summer and winter.
- Inspect and insulate pipes to protect them from freezing.
- Trim trees and shrubs away from the home's exterior.
- Touch up exterior paint and check for wood rot or water damage.
- Check grouting in kitchen and bathroom and repair if necessary.
A home maintenance checklist will make it easier for you to manage the upkeep of your house. It can also help you catch minor issues before they become costly home repairs.